Science and technology program for sustainable development of the North West region: Achievements and cooperation orientationsNgày đăng: 05/02/2018Lượt xem: 1149Northern midland and mountainous region (called in short as The North West) is under the direction of the Northwest Steering Committee including 12 provinces (Ha Giang, Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Lai Chau, Dien Bien, Son La, Hoa Binh, Cao Bang, Bac Kan, Lang Son, Phu Tho, Tuyen Quang) and 21 districts in the west of Thanh Hoa and Nghe An, with a total area of 115,153.4 km2, accounting for 35% of the country's natural area.Mai Trong Nhuan, Truong Vu Bang Giang, Nguyen Thi Hoang Ha
Vietnam National University
Northern midland and mountainous region (called in short as The North West) is under the direction of the Northwest Steering Committee including 12 provinces (Ha Giang, Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Lai Chau, Dien Bien, Son La, Hoa Binh, Cao Bang, Bac Kan, Lang Son, Phu Tho, Tuyen Quang) and 21 districts in the west of Thanh Hoa and Nghe An, with a total area of 115,153.4 km2, accounting for 35% of the country's natural area.
The North West has potential and advantages for developing agriculture, forestry, hydropower, minerals, tourism and border economy. This is home to more than 11.6 million people of more than 30 ethnic groups, about 63% of which are ethnic minorities. Despite its strategic location, great potential and diversity, Tay Bac is still an exceptionally difficult area in all aspects with the highest rate of poor households in the country, unsynchronous and underdeveloped transport system, and frequently under impact of natural disasters. The cause of this situation is due to the fact that the sustainable development resources of the North West has not really been stimulated and promoted properly and effectively, including the resources of science and technology.
Based on this reality, in 2012, the Prime Minister approved the proposal of Vietnam National University (VNU) and the Northwest Steering Committee to implement the Science and Technology Program (S&T) at national level: "Science and Technology for the Sustainable Development of the Northwest Region" (called in short as the Northwest Program), which aims to carry out integrated and interdisciplinary research to provide scientific arguments and solutions, contributing to directly tackle the current issues toward fast, comprehensive and sustainable development of the North West.
By November 2017, the Northwest Program has been implementing 54 topics and 3 projects for four target groups, towards sustainable development (SD) in the North West. Topics and projects have focused on the following objectives:
The implementation of the topics attracted interest, participation and promoted contribution of scientists from many research institutions in and outside VNU. Specifically, there were:
- Provide scientific arguments for the development and adjustment of sustainable development strategies and plans, ensuring defense and security in the North West;
- Identify scientific foundations for specific socio-economic development models of subregions and inter-regions, contributing to the improvement and gradual enhancement of the living standards of ethnic minority groups in the North West;
- Propose and transfer appropriate scientific and technological solutions for the rational use of natural resources, environmental protection, natural disaster prevention and mitigation; transport infrastructure and information development; promoting and preserving cultural values, contributing to the defense and security in the North West;
- Identify needs for training human resources and propose suitable training solutions for human resource development to meet the requirements of sustainable development in the North West.
The tasks have been carried out research which not only is macro-related to the problem of the whole region, inter-region and sub-region but also focuses on specific problems of some localities in the North West.
- Many organizations and individuals registering to take part in leading the project are from scientific and technological organizations and universities, research institutes and enterprises nationwide.
- 82 organizations participated in the implementation, including departments in the Northwest region (Department of Science and Technology of 14 provinces in the North West region, Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism Lao Cai, Lai Chau, Phu Tho, Dien Bien, Tuyen Quang, Ha Giang, Hoa Binh, Department of Planning and Investment of Ha Giang, Department of Home Affairs of Son La, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Son La and Yen Bai, Department of Industry and Trade of Yen Bai, Cao Bang and Lao Cai).
In the period of 2013-2015, the Program will focus on building scientific arguments, training needs and research, and implementing pilot models in localities:
In the period of 2016 - 2018, the program focuses on enhancing applied research that puts scientific and technological results into practice with the following priorities:
- Topics on building inter-branch and inter-regional databases including resources on land, forest, water, mineral, medicine and tourism etc.; reviewing policies (poverty reduction and hunger eradication programs, national target programs on education and training, Decision No. 79/2005/QD-TTg of the Prime Minister, etc.); and carrying out research and collecting data of all 14 provinces in the North West, which is highly macroeconomic;
- Topics on proposing policies and measures to improve the quality of training, foster local officials and implement vocational training for sustainable development;
- Topics on developing medicinal plants in one and some localities such as radix psendo-ginseng, aconitum fortunei hemsl, "Đan sâm" and coix lacryma-jobi in Ha Giang and Lao Cai; carrying out research on medicine from docynia indica, fallopia multiflora, fallopia japonica in Lai Chau, Lao Cai, etc.; cultivating ophiocordyceps sinensis in Son La, Dien Bien, Lai Chau; implementing water treatment pilot for contaminated water at the area of zinc lead mine in Cho Don, Bac Kan province; implementing pilot ecotourism models in Hoa Binh, Lao Cai; establishing the supply chain of agro-forestry products for export in the northwestern provinces.
The Program's research results have followed the proposed objectives. In addition to the research that provided the scientific arguments for identifying strategies, development plans and breakthroughs of the region and northwestern provinces, the Program has also achieved some concrete results, practical application of science and technology to enhance the value of commodity products and growth models; to develop education and training and human resources for socio-economic development; to develop the culture and society, to develop sustainable livelihoods for the people in ethnic groups and ensure national security and defense.
- Study and develop scientific basis for building criteria, orientations and solutions in adjusting, proposing and deploying strategies, planning and plans for development and implementation of resolutions from congresses of the Communist Party of Vietnam in provinces, sub-regions and inter-regions in the northwestern region;
- Study, propose and transfer special scientific and technological solutions and products for economic development, transport infrastruture, information, culture and society, rational use of natural resources, environmental protection, prevention and mitigation of natural disasters in the North West;
- Design, test and transfer some models of economic development, community development such as agricultural production, forestry, agro-forestry integration, integrated models for sustainable development (such as model which integrates economy, environment, ecology, ad migration...) and sustainable development of agriculture, forestry, fisheries, hydropower, minerals, environmental security in the North West and at provincial and district levels; trial production projects which are jointly-invested by the government and enterprises with an organic and synchronous combination suitable with the natural conditions, natural resources, environment, culture and development level of the localities; and address major scientific and technological issues mostly for the development of main and prioritized key products and product groups which have great impacts on the development of socio-economy.
The Program's research results were extracted to transfer to the provinces through the comments in the Political Report of the Party Congress of 14 provinces in the North West; reports in conferences, scientific seminars and in meetings with local leaders; recommendation reports; pratical application model in the localities, enterprises, etc.
The activities of the Program have contributed to help the local people gradually change their perception, considering the application of science and technology as a breakthrough in the socio-economic development of the locality. It is also highly appreciated by the localities and they wish to cooperate extensively with the Program and VNU, paving the way for the practical expansion of cooperation between VNU and the localities.
The research results of the Science and Technology Program for Sustainable Development of the Northwest Region are a crucial foundation for investment and management, not only for the nation and ministries but also for the provinces. It is an urgent need for Vietnam in the current transformation period.
During the implementation process, the coordination between VNU, Ministry of Science and Technology, the Northwest Steering Committee and the Program Management Board was very effective. VNU also established a network of scientific collaborators to effectively support the Program and made a positive link between the project implementation team and the Program Management Board. In addition, due to the common features and objectives, the results of research and transfer are complementary to each other, therefore, the Northwest Program actively coordinated with the Programs in Southwest, Central Highlands and the new rural areas in order to promote efficiently the resources of the Programs for sustainable socio-economic development in general and building new rural areas in association with restructuring the agricultural sector in regional areas in particular.
Specific directions for coordination with domestic and foreign programs and projects that are implemented in the Northwest region are:
- Share information, data, research results of each party;
- Organize the implementation of coordinating research tasks between the parties towards the application of science and technology development, proposing policy reforms for sustainable development in the Northwest, promoting sustainable development of each sector, livelihood and sustainable start-up associated with improving the material and spiritual life for ethnic minority people; and enhancing environmental protection, sustainable use of resources, disaster risk reduction and climate change responses.
- Coordinate the organization of conferences, seminars, deployment, dissemination of information, capacity building, transfer of results in the Northwestern localities and related ministries.
- Liên kết website
- Thăm dò ý kiến
Bạn thấy nội dung trên chuyên trang CSA như thế nào?Phong phú, đa dạngTạm đượcCần bổ sung thêmBình chọnKết quả
Bạn thấy nội dung trên chuyên trang CSA như thế nào?
Tổng số:154 phiếu
|Phong phú, đa dạng||
|Cần bổ sung thêm||